Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A visit to the doctor and coffee


Let me just say this about that. -- Richard Nixon

Today, we went to the orthopedic surgeon who fixed my fractured hip a little over three weeks now. It was a follow-up appointment and Ron took me, pushing me in a wheelchair. I don't know how he feels about pushing the wheelchair, but I know I like riding in it. A physician's assistant showed us the x-rays they took today of my hip. Wow, it was an eye-opener. Who knew I had that much metal in my body! There was a big screw down through the ball of my hip and then a big metal rod that went down the side of top bone of my leg, almost as big as the bone -- no wonder they don't want to take it out. The doctor said I was healing nicely and even though my recovery might be somewhat slowed by my MS, I could probably get back to where I was before the
accident. This was very cheering to me, even though I still don't feel like driving.

After the appointment, we drove through Grab-A-Java, a wonderful coffee place. I got a latte, which was excellent. The people who work in coffee places seem to be young and heavily tattooed with interesting hair -- I guess it's all part of the total coffee experience.  I have a well-developed and deeply seated coffee addiction but fortunately, I have a BUNN at home that can make all the coffee I can choke down. I've started to doctor up the coffee with soy milk so that drinking coffee is an unparalleled flavor experience.

When we got home, two occupational therapists gave me some practical pointers on making meals and doing laundry. I am slowly adapting to this new life and it helps to have people to give me ideas and suggestions. No sense reinventing the wheel -- others have gone through the same situation and come up with some really creative solutions.

No comments: