Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fame

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.   I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

My husband was elected to the Dana-Thomas House Foundation board (kind of a big deal) and I tease him with this bit of wisdom from Anchorman (hilarious movie BTW). Of course fame is relative -- one can always be more famous.  And then there are those of us who are legends in our own mind...

I used to wish I was a "famous" author: if I could just get that one bestseller I'd be happy.  But then I know I'd be worried about writing the next book and seeing my "classic" on the remainder pile at Barnes and Noble.  So instead I self-published and received immense gratification from the hearing positive comments readers -  rewarding in a way no review could ever be.

Truly all human glory, all temporal honour, all worldly exultation, compared to Thy eternal glory, is but vanity and folly.

Thomas A Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

No comments: