Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sunny day and a set-back

The week started out great with a plethora of friends visiting on Sunday, including one who wheeled me
Simmons Cancer Institute
outside to enjoy the beautiful sunny day. We went over to the Simmons Cancer Institute  Institute and sat in the Peace Garden to talk.  On Sunday, there was a slight breeze and we relaxed in the shade listening to the brook and watching the butterflies.

 In front of the building there is a sculpture of a man and women dancing together, but out of the foot of each one is a ugly streamer that encircles the dancers.  I think the stream is meant to represent the ugliness of cancer, but the fact that it does not stop the dancers, nor obliterate their beauty indicates to me that even this horrible disease cannot contain or wipe out  human beings. I think that cancer patients who are entering the Institute would be very encouraged by this.


After a wonderful day Sunday. I had four therapy sessions on Monday. They went well, but I was very tired when I returned. Then last night, I had a setback. When I got up, I experienced excruciating pain when I put any weight on my right leg. I was afraid that I had broken my leg again, but the doctor informed me that there had been no new fracture after an x-ray. . He said I should  continue therapy. Now that I know that I have not broken anything, I want to in get back in the therapy saddle.

There is hope even in a dark situation. Many people struck with cancer have survived, although many others have gone to heaven. The dancers continue to dance, encircled by disease but not destroyed.

No comments: