Sunday, September 19, 2010

Home again

Larry, Ron and Bentley
I finally came home from the hospital on Friday after two weeks. The first week was the worst with lots of pain and confusion. The second week I started to feel better and despite a minor setback (see previous post) I was able to attend therapy and was pretty pain-free. It was then that the boredom set in. Sitting in a hospital chair every evening from 5 p.m. when we ate dinner to 10 p.m. when I went to bed made me feel about 100 years old.

Ron came to get me Friday and take me home and that night, my brothers Larry and Andrew and my mom arrived from Iowa. With Ron's help, they set about making the house workable for someone who is mostly in wheelchair. My brothers rearranged furniture, installed a new shower head, and cleared out the family room so that I can get in the house. My mom did all my laundry and we played solitaire on my iPAD.

Emily, me and Mom after a great meal
My brother Andrew made us a terrific Iowa steak dinner and cleaned up afterwards. I just sat and enjoyed the food and good company, which included Emily and Jake and their little dog Bentley. The Iowans went home this morning and Ron and I have spent a quiet day catching up.Despite the obstacles,  I am feeling wonderful about being home.

No comments: