Saturday, September 11, 2010

Change in an instant

I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.”- Psalm 121:1-2 

 It is truly amazing how life can change in an instant. In my case, the instant was at about 11:45 a.m. last Saturday in our kitchen in Rochester. I turned around too quickly from loading the dishwasher, lost my balance, and fell. It hurt like hell.

Fortunately, Ron was at home, and after a few futile attempts to get me off the floor, he called an ambulance  while I laid on the floor feeling kind of like the lady on TV who says "I've fallen and I can't get up."  (I will never make fun of her again.)

The ambulance came, and 2 able-bodied young men lifted me to a gurney and carried me out. Thank goodness the ambulance didn't have the sirens and lights on, or the whole neighborhood would have been out to watch.

We went to the emergency room at a Springfield hospital. After several hours and two sets of x-rays, it was determined that my right hip was broken.  A local surgeon put in a pin on Saturday night, and I have been in the hospital ever since.

On Wednesday, I was transferred to a third floor unit  specifically focused on rehabilitation. There are at least three hours of therapy every day --  so far I have seen physical, speech and occupational therapists. For the therapies, we are taken to Independence Square, an amazing miniature town featuring obstacles that wheelchair users face daily, such as bumps, curbs, and shelves that are out of reach. Yesterday, I practiced getting in and out of both the passenger's and driver's side of car. Today, I practiced dressing. I can't believe I was fortunate enough to get into this program. It is a wonderful opportunity and the therapists are fantastic.

Even though being in the hospital is often impersonal and lonely, I have many blessings, including overwhelming support from my friends and relatives. They have visited, called, sent flowers and cards, brought by gifts and food, and sent e-mails and Facebook messages.

You never know when life will change. It could be a fall, or a car accident, or a spouse who leaves, or a job lost. Whatever it is, I found that the only way to get through these crises is with God's support and loving friends.

No comments: