Monday, October 4, 2010

Paradise Regained or Target and the Bird Fair (with apologies to Milton)

Since I have been home from the hospital I have not been able to drive. Before I broke my hip, I could drive my Volkswagen station wagon because it had a left foot accelerator so that I could push on the the gas pedal using my left foot. I'm not driving now because I feel unsteady on my feet and I am terrified of falling again. But driving would restore a measure of independence, so I am practicing walking with a walker and am slowly getting stronger.


Ron has been good about driving me places. For a big outing on Saturday, we went to Target. It is hard to overplay the significance of this: to me Target is like heaven on earth. It has inexpensive but trendy clothes, books, DVDs, interesting housewares, pretty towels, neat cards, even groceries. To top it off, our Target even has a Starbucks. Needless to say, it made my Saturday night.

After lunch today, Ron visited his version of paradise -- the Bird Fair.  An annual gathering, area avian enthusiasts congregate to buy birds, toys and feed; admire birds big and small; and generally talk birds.  We narrowly escaped getting an African Grey (a young couple bought him first) but I sense it's just a matter of time before we acquire another bird.

No comments: