Monday, October 25, 2010

Dog Show!

Tibetan Mastiff
This weekend, Ron and I spent Saturday and Sunday at the Prairieland Classic Dog Show at the state fairgrounds. It's kind of ironic because we don't have a dog now, but Ron loves animals and I love dogs so we decided to go. It was really fun and a great education. I had no idea there were so many different breeds of dogs. I wish I would've had a dog guidebook to let me know what the different breeds were. A Tibetan mastiff won Best of Show on Saturday: that is one scary big dog.

Hercules
On Sunday, we went out to watch the breeder for Hercules, our dog who died a few years ago, show her Brussels Griffons. Hercules was a Brussels and his gentle nature won me over to dogs. At the show, I got to hold a black and tan Brussels Griffon on who was extremely cute. But the dog we both liked the best was a big dog owned by the son of our breeder, a Belgian Malinois. His dog is adorable --  she can do tricks like walking on her hind legs and jumping into her owner's arms. I was especially endeared to her when she began to nussle up and lick me --very affectionate!
  
Belgian Malinoi
Dog shows are interesting events. This poor quality video of an old Saturday Night Live skit is hilarious and really captures it. There are some effeminate men and masculine women who think nothing of putting dog treats in their mouths and brushing their hair with dog brushes.






 

Since we don't have a fenced yard and I am not able to take a dog out to relieve himself, getting a dog has to be something on which Ron buys in and so far he would rather have an African Grey!

African Grey

No comments: