Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Twila and the Sangamon Ordnance Plant

Sangamon Ordnance Plant
For several years now I've been thinking about writing a novel centered around a young woman who works at the Sangamon Ordnance Plant. This was a huge facility of more than 1,000 buildings that manufactured ammunition near here during World War II. The idea appealed to me for two reasons: first, I saw the ruins of the plant in the cornfields and they captured my imagination, and second, I found out that a woman I know who worked there more than 65 years ago.

Twila with Ron's grandpa
The woman's name is Twila and I got to know her almost 20 years ago when she married Ron's grandfather after his grandmother passed away. Twila seemed like an interesting woman, but we lost touch after Ron's grandfather died. Two years ago though, after a review of my book appeared in a local publication, she called me. That's like her -- she is very assertive and forthright. She is also 91 years old.

Twila at the plant
After she called, I began to visit her each week on my lunch hour because my office was near her condominium. It was really fun getting to know her and after I began to record her reminiscences, I learned that she had been employed as a young woman at the Sangamon Ordnance Plant. Already interested in the plant, this was fascinating and I began to research the plant. One day, up in the Sangamon Valley Collection at Lincoln Library, I came across a company newsletter that showed the plant's employees. I scanned the faces, then remember that she said she had worked in the timekeeping department. Fortunately that department had few employees and there in the front row was Twila, then in her in her early 20s, just starting out in life. When I showed Twila a copy of the photo she said, "Yes, that's me.  I remember that dress!"

Twila now lives in an independent living facility in Springfield, and I see her less often. She is still very cogent but she doesn't remember many details about the Sangamon Ordnance Plant. After all, it was 65 years ago! She has expanded on  her personal life including a career and three marriages, and I believe there may be a novel in a character loosely based on her. I have a lot of admiration for this woman -- she is one tough cookie.





No comments: