Thursday, October 7, 2010

Impossible


A friend of mine from years ago, Gloria, called yesterday from her daughter's house in Wisconsin. Gloria and I worked together at the local community college in the early 90s, and we stayed in touch over the years as she and I both changed jobs. Gloria led me to a deeper faith and is now sailing with her husband Mike around the Caribbean. I had a unique opportunity to thank her publicly a few weeks ago when the newspaper asked for submissions regarding people that had been a difference in our lives. On Sunday, an article incorporated my submission about her, and I sent her the article.
 
During our conversation, Gloria reminded me that impossible things happen all the time. That made me think about a song from the TV show Cinderella that impressed me mightly when I was 10, in 1965. The musical, which I watched on our grainy black-and-white TV, starred the incredibly beautiful Lesley Ann Warren, a songstress who has since been relegated to that special hell in Hollywood for aging actresses,  The song, sung by the fairy godmother and Cinderella is called "Impossible" and part of it follows:
 
But the world is full of zanies and fools who don't believe in sensible rules
and won't believe what sensible people say..
and because these daft and dewey eyed dopes keep building up impossible
hopes impossible things are happening every day!


The longer I live, the more I believe this to be true. Here are a few "impossible" happenings in my life:
  • Chelsea is attending Judson University, a school I never thought we could afford
  • Emily is engaged to be married and has a great job
  • After breaking her hip two years ago, my mom is alive and kicking at 82 years of age
  • We are part of an incredible life group whose members keep giving and giving unselfishly
  • I have friends whom I love and share interests with, and whom I respect deeply
  • I got the okay to drive from my doctor today!
  • A normal looking person, me,  is married to an incredibly handsome man. How impossible is that?
Going to Jerusalem was one of my favorite games as a child. Cards with Bible verses on them told us how many spaces to advance. The card with the best verse was this:

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Luke 6:38

I can't recall how many spaces were on the card, but does it matter?




No comments: