Saturday, September 19, 2015

The final post on podcasts

Okay I promise this is my last post on podcasts. I could go on indefinitely because I'm discovering new ones almost every day, but in the interests of brevity and fading reader interest I will contain myself (albeit somewhat begrudgingly).

Spontaneanation with Paul F Tompkins (this is the last podcast that I will mention that includes my hero) is an improvised show that features Tompkins plus a special guest and some of his improvisational partners in crime. The guest provides fodder for the improvisation that follows and the results are usually hilarious. It has given me a whole new respect for improvisational comedy. Highly recommended.

Tracy V. Wilson and Holly Frey host another podcast that has earned my listener seal of approval – Stuff You Missed in History Class. Though it has a different flavor than the Stuff You Should Know podcast, this is just as informative and interesting in its own way. Tracy and Holly do a wonderful job of researching and presenting obscure historical topics in a fascinating manner. Just this morning I listened to their episode on "The Black Hole of Calcutta" and learned a lot. They also did a good job of pointing out what evidence was hearsay and what was substantiated. Other favs include "The Iroquois Theater Fire," "Villisca Ax Murders" (since I'm from Iowa) and "A Culinary History of Spam." Give it a listen.

This last podcast is a great example of cross pollination. I heard about it on the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast this week: Can I Pet Your Dog? I listened to a few episodes and love it so far. It is exactly what you would expect – two young women and a man talking about dogs. Great for dog lovers everywhere.

Podcasts are a big part of my life and I am so thankful for
them. Keep 'em coming!

1 comment:

Priyrawal said...

Upload music, listen to music, no limits on bandwidth. Join your music only on yourlisten