Thursday, September 10, 2015

Did I mention that I love podcasts?

Okay I know that I did a post already on podcasts back in 2011. But now, after four years, I think I love them even more (if that's possible).

My tastes have changed -- I don't like the same podcasts I did four years ago. I am more educated about the choices available and there are many more podcasts out there now to choose from (and the number is growing every day).

It's an embarrassment of riches but I love it. All for free, of
Oscar
course, and somehow podcasts are the perfect company for someone who is often alone (if you don't count Oscar).

Liking a podcast is somewhat idiosyncratic –  it's very important to have a good host or hosts. "Good" means someone who is well-informed, likable, and would probably be a friend if I knew him or her better.

The topics covered are also important to me: I tend to like podcasts that talk about faith, movies, TV, books, or popular culture. But I also like those that entertain. 

Here are some of my current favorites.

The Dead Authors Podcast. Hosted by my current obsession, Paul F Tompkins, this monthly podcast features HG Wells (Tompkins) who brings a dead author such as Confucius, Lucy Maud Montgomery, L Ron Hubbard, Gertrude Stein, Mark Twain to the present day via his time machine. Tompkins as Wells is a delightful host and never breaks character. He has a running feud with Jules Verne and an ability to be tickled by many of his guests' antics.
Wells and Lucy Maud Montgomery

The visiting authors are played by a host of young comedians, often with men portraying women and vice versa, and the whole thing is extremely funny. Tompkins is quick-witted and his guests are informative as well was being laugh out loud hilarious. Highly recommended! http://deadauthorspodcast.org/

The Thrilling Adventure Hour. Billed as a podcast in the style of old-time radio, this wonderful show features three non-serialized segments such as Sparks Nevada: Marshall on Mars, Beyond Belief, Captain Laserbeam and The Cross-Time Adventures of Colonel Tick-Tock as well as songs and commercials.

The cast includes the WorkJuice Players and usually at least
Beyond Belief (Tompkins is at left)
one special guest. Paul F. Tompkins (there he is again) is one of the Players and stars with Paget Brewster in the Beyond Belief segment, featuring the adventures of married mediums in the vein of Nick and Nora Charles.

Very funny and extremely well acted, I was sad to hear that this podcast has ceased doing new segments. However, the old ones are all on iTunes or online at http://thrillingadventurehour.com/

That's all for now. My next post will continue the list of my favorite podcasts (I have a bunch).

No comments: