Monday, January 24, 2011

Some products have evolved, some not so much

Today, we went to St. Louis for my semiannual appointment with my multiple sclerosis doctor. I wore my  new KAFO brace, which  improves my walking quite a bit. Yes, the brace is heavier than my previous AFO, but it stabilizes my knee and makes me feel less apt to fall. Since I got it on Friday and I am getting used to walking with it, my arms and shoulders are sore tonight because I walked all around the Galleria where we went afterwards and leaned heavily on my rollator.

George Costanza in his puffy coat
At the Galleria, Eddie Bauer had a super sale going on and Ron bought some new outerwear that will keep him toasty when he takes pictures in the winter. Down coats have definitely advanced since they first came out. Back then when you wore a down coat, you felt like a marshmallow (and looked like one too). The down coat Ron purchased today was actually called a down sweater, and it is so light that it feels like a feather and will pack down into one of its pockets for transport. It's incredibly warm, especially when coupled with a fleece liner and waterproof outer coat. Amazing.

When we got back to Springfield, Ron had an appointment with his ENT doctor because he is having trouble breathing at night. She recommended that he purchased nasal drops called Ponaris. This medication has been around since 1961 (the druggist got a box from behind the counter) and the packaging looks like it hasn't changed since then. The drawing of the astronaut floating in space reaches beyond kitsch and into the surreal. I love some of the copy on the box: "IT'S NOT A SECRET!" and "For relief of nasal mucosal encrustations" -- heaven knows I wouldn't want one of those! What a find. I wonder how many other neat products are out there?

No comments: