Monday, January 3, 2011

The brace to end all braces

"A change would do you good." Sheryl Crow

AFOs
For about 2 years now I've worn an Ankle Foot Orthotic (AFO) on my right leg, which is the leg most affected by multiple sclerosis. When it was first suggested by my doctor, I hated the idea.  There is no way an AFO will fit into really cute shoes, but then again, I'd given up wearing fun pumps when I started having trouble walking and keeping them on.  AFOs are not pretty, but they sure are effective in keeping someone with real foot drop issues from tripping herself.  Once I started using the AFO, I took it off only at bedtime.  I can walk without it, but just barely.  So, despite its unsightliness, I loved my AFO.

KAFO
That is until I broke my hip...while wearing my AFO.  At my last appointment with the surgeon who fixed my broken hip strongly recommended I get a bigger brace that would stabilize my knee.  "You can't afford to break your hip again." Sobering thought after two weeks of hospital hell.  I got myself to an orthotist, and, after much waffling and vacillating, mostly centered on the unsettling fact that I wouldn't be able to wear my favorite skinny jeans, I bit the bullet and today I was cast for a KAFO -- a Knee Ankle Foot Orthotic.

The brace still needs to be made, so I won't get it for about two weeks, but now I've decided to go with it, I'm almost excited.  The orthotist assured me that would have more stability with it and that could open up a whole new realm of independence for me. 

It's true, once in awhile a change will indeed do you good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wear an AFO also. Mine is to prevent in-toeing. Im glad it works for you. Mine does for me.

Unknown said...

I wear an AFO also. Mine is to prevent in-toeing. Im glad it works for you. Mine does for me.