Sunday, August 1, 2010

Back to School

"I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them." -- Phyllis Diller

Today after church, the Single Moms Ministry had a back-to-school luncheon for the church's single moms and their kids. It was the first event that I had attended since rejoining the leadership team as an ex-officio member, and I was impressed that there were close to 50 attendees.

My friend started this ministry back about 2001, when she, a newly married single mom, felt a need to provide assistance and love for this very important (and underserved) group. She felt frustrated and unable to cope at times, so as a former single mom, I joined her, helping her through some rough patches.

Now the ministry is mature and is moving forward to provide concrete assistance to these women and their children. When I left the ministry in 2008, my friend hosted a lovely, memorable dinner for me. It meant the world to me, so when she asked me to help out with three single moms, but I was happy to oblige. I am enjoying the feeling of usefulness I have and the company of the moms.

No comments: