Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The play's the thing

I'll have grounds More relative than this—the play's the thing Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.
Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 603–605

I am taking an online playwriting class from Writers University because I know absolutely nothing about playwriting and I am attempting to adapt part of my book, Water and Fire, as a play to be produced at the .Dana-Thomas House next spring. It is very exciting to me and this opportunity comes at a good time. Chelsea went back to school today and working on those makes me miss her a little less.

The assignment for this week, the last week of the class, was to write the first five pages of the play. I worked on it this afternoon and got a first draft done. Ron read it tonight and pronounced it good. I think the only obstacle to overcome is the physical one -- the play needs to be put on in the Dana-Thomas House and therefore the settings are limited. However, I believe it can be done and it is a wonderful opportunity for me as a writer.

Like almost every other writer, I have cast my novel as the screenplay with all my favorite actors. Here for my enjoyment is my "dream team":

Sheba -- Thandie Newton






Mrs. Dana -- Ethel Barrymore (yes, I know she's dead, but I saw her in Rasputin and the Empress last night and I really think she would be great)




Frank Lloyd Wright -- Sean Penn








Vachel Lindsay -- Vincent Kartheiser (from Mad Men)








Thomas Cartwright -- Tristan Wilds (just found him online and thought he looked nice)





Cousin Flora -- Agnes Moorehead (yeah, she's dead too)





Ok, I couldn't think of anyone for Governor and Mrs. Dineen or the medium!

No comments: