Saturday, July 31, 2010

Praying mantis

I came back from an errand yesterday and saw this baby praying mantis by my back door. It let me get very close to it and take a picture before climbing up the siding and out of sight. I couldn't sleep last night and started thinking about the mantis, wishing I could migrate into its body. Then I started researching them and this is what I found.

The praying mantis is named for its prominent front legs, which are bent and held together at an angle that suggests the position of prayer. ...They have triangular heads poised on a long "neck," or elongated thorax. Mantids can turn their heads 180 degrees to scan their surroundings with two large compound eyes and three other simple eyes located between them.

Female praying mantises apparently bite the head off the male after copulation. Although I have been accused of feminism, this strikes me as a bit too radical, even for a flaming bra burner. So maybe I will pick another animal to carry my soul.

No comments: