Thursday, July 29, 2010

Family

Lately I have been impressed by the importance of family in my life and since I stopped working, family has become more important.

My youngest daughter, Chelsea, left yesterday for a week and a half visiting friends and going to camp with her boyfriend's family. She will have a wonderful time (and she is 21 and very able to take care of herself) but I will miss her. She has been a great help to me, both physically and emotionally. It's her last year at college and probably the last summer she will be living at home.

Family has been a part of my life in other ways too. Tuesday night Ron, Chelsea and I met my older daughter Emily and her fiancé Jake for dinner at a nice restaurant here in town. Emily is 25 and a successful accountant and Jake is an up-and-coming realtor. They're planning a wedding next fall that I am helping with and it's keeping me busy. Part of me wishes the wedding weren't so far in the future, because I'm not sure about the progression of this disease, but another part is relishing the renewed closeness with Emily.

As I develop a new identity separate from work, my family has become increasingly important, and that's as it should be.

"A happy family is but an earlier heaven."
George Bernard Shaw

No comments: