Monday, July 6, 2015

5 Steps to Happiness (according to Hoda)

I am not usually a big fan of daytime TV but I do like watching the Today Show every morning. Hoda Kotb (of Hoda and Kathy Lee fame) was on today, subbing for someone who is on vacation. Hoda has always impressed me as pretty upbeat. Eight years ago, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery before being declared cancer-free.

John Lawson from Pursuing Happiness
But she outdid herself today when she moderated a story about a movie (Pursuing Happiness) showing how people get and stay happy. The movie featured people who might feel put upon but instead decided to meet their situation with a positive attitude. I vividly remember a guy with metal hooks replacing both his hands. He was playing the piano and pretty well too.

Hoda told Matt Lauer that she had heard that doing five things every day would give you a positive attitude. The five things were (to the best of my recollection):
  1. list three things that you are thankful for
  2. list one great thing that has happened in the last 24 hours
  3. exercise a little (very little in my case)
  4. meditate (or pray) for a few minutes
  5. practice one random act of kindness
Happiness is a choice after all and even though everyone doesn't exhibit a disability, everyone has had bad things happen to them in their lives, some of them pretty horrific.

Here are some things that are making me happy:

Yesterday, Ron's sister Susan gave me a picture of a fox with Job 11:18 that said:
"And you will feel secure, because there is hope;
you will look around and take your rest in security." 
A beautiful picture from a woman with a beautiful soul. There is no reason why we shouldn't be happy. After all, God is with us and loves us.

Then there's this:


And this:

And of course this:


I think I will try to take Hoda's advice. After all, it seems to be working for her.

No comments: