Friday, May 6, 2011

Doggie Desire

The Mighty Hercules
I really want to get another dog. When I was working, our Brussels Griffon Hercules would unfailingly be at the front door to greet me at the end of the day. He came into our lives  as a red-haired puppy in 1994, delighting the girls by running circles in the yard and sneezing when he got excited. When he got older, he would lie in the sun until he panted from the heat, seemingly never making the connection between the golden rays and the excessive warmth. Hercules became a part of our family and we loved his gentle character. We cried when we had to have him put to sleep four years ago, after a year of increasing incontinence and failing health.

Now that I am alone a lot, I miss the companionship of a canine friend,  but walking a dog or even housebreaking a puppy would be impossible. So I began to explore what breed might be best for a disabled person.

Italian Greyhound
 Greyhounds have always impressed me as sensitive and beautiful dogs after seeing one several years ago in the veterinarian's office. Unfortunately, a standard greyhound is out -- they are bred for racing. However, after doing some research, it seemed that the smaller Italian Greyhound might be ideal (I actually found a disabled person who owned one!). Italian Greyhounds possessed a laid-back nature, and (an added plus in my book)they are so cold sensitive they can even be litter trained.

Most breeds have rescue sites and Italian greyhounds are no exceptions, so I've started looking. It may take a while but I am confident that I will end up with a great dog and wonderful companion.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Talk to Dave Shaw. He has one or two of these as does Leigh Steiner. Plus, I do transport of rescued dogs and sometimes cats, almost EVERY SATURDAY. I will put the word out if you want! You never know what appears. Last year we transported over 2000 critters to new homes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.