Friday, February 11, 2011

Lincoln's farewell address (again)

I got to be part of an historic event today -- well maybe. The event may not have actually been historic, and I got there too late to really be a part of it. But still, it was kind of neat.

On this day 150 years ago, Abraham Lincoln stood outside the Great Western Train Depot in downtown Springfield and addressed a wet crowd of well-wishers before taking the train to go to Washington to become president. To draw some attention to Lincoln and Springfield, the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency decided to try to set a new record in the Guinness Book of World Records for simultaneous reading and have the address read by the crowd as well as across the nation. The previous record was set in 2006 when 223,363 participants read a passage from Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White.
Fritz Klein
I wanted to go to the reenactment for a couple of reasons: the Lincoln impersonator, Fritz Klein, goes to our church and a couple of women in my book group are employed at the IHPA. I thought the event would be fun and might be historic, but somehow things didn't turn out exactly as I expected.

After driving downtown about 10:45 and noticing a crowd around the train depot I begin looking for a handicapped parking spot. Eventually I found one straight down the street from the depot, only a couple of blocks away. I pulled my rollator out of the backseat, locked my brace into place and started slowly waddling down the street. Warmly dressed people rushed past, headed for the reenactment, which was scheduled for 11 am sharp.

I was participant #750
As I got closer to the depot I could hear the crowd reciting the words of the Farewell Address, led by Fritz, who I could hear, thanks to the loudspeakers, but not see. Close to the crowd, I paused after running into a slippery pile of snow, and a lady asked me if I wanted to participate. I told her that I was too late, but she handed me a flier anyway. Apparently I was participant number 750. Just as I rolled up, the crowd finished reciting the address for the third time, completing the five minutes required by Guinness. Lincoln/Fritz doffed his stovepipe hat and, since there was no train in sight, got in a car and drove away.

The crowd, many of whom were in historic dress, started leaving, but I moved forward, attempting to shoot some video on the camera that Ron gave me for Christmas. Unfortunately my video skills have not improved over the years (I used to take jerky movies of the kids), so instead I have posted a far superior video from the Springfield State Journal-Register.

The depot after the crowd dispersed
I did manage to shoot a couple of photos, one of which I posted, further proof that I was indeed there.

According to the news, it may be a couple weeks before we know if the record was broken. But even though I was late, I was glad I went.

Lincoln's Farewell Address
"My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell."

No comments: