Monday, July 26, 2010

Jazz in Bloom and book group

The Dana-Thomas House Foundation event Jazz in Bloom was held on Saturday night, and I was a stationary guide in the living room. This meant that I got to be seated while people wandered through, answering any questions they might have. There weren't many people that came through (most were in the courtyard, listening to jazz and drinking wine), but the ones that did were interested and it was fun to talk to them about the house. Since I haven't given tours at for a couple of years now because of all the stairs, it was great to be back inside again. The volunteer coordinator is very thoughtful and makes sure that I participate in events like this.

Sitting in the living room among the Wright-designed tables and chairs (I wasn't sitting in one though), I watched the sun go down and the room change its aspect. It seemed more intimate lit by the wall sconces and art-glass lamps. I could almost imagine living here or coming as a guest to one of Mrs. Dana's parties.

I had time to think about the play at the house based on my novel Water and Fire, and I talked to the volunteer coordinator about how it might be staged. I'm getting very excited about the whole production and I think she shares this feeling. It will be fun to write!

On Sunday, my book group met to discuss Anna Karenina. The woman who hosted has a pool and she invited those of us who wanted to swim to come early. Even though I can't swim anymore, I came early with a couple of friends and thanks to their help, I was able to get into the water and enjoy the pool. The women in the group are the nicest I have ever met and would do just about anything to help me. I would have had to drop out of the group before now but for their cheerful assistance.

The discussion, led by a new member of the group, was excellent. Some of us thought Anna was foolish; others that she was a victim of society. A wonderful evening!

No comments: