Saturday, November 21, 2009

My next project

On Wednesday, I spoke to what I think will be the last group that selected my book to read this month. It was a group of retired teachers and they seem very engaged. Another highlight was speaking to the Sangamo Club Literary Circle two weeks ago. But now it's time to go on to something else.

For my next project, I had decided that I would write a historical fiction novel based on the Sangamon Ordnance Plant during World War II. My friend, Twila, had worked at the plant during the war, and I went with my mom last summer to visit what's left east of Illiopolis. The underground bunkers covered with grass really captured my imagination, but I have this niggling fear that there may not be enough material to make a book. Since Twila has gone to a nursing home, I really haven't been to see her much, and I thought that her experiences would be a good basis for a book.

Another idea came from gathering some historical material at work last week. It was really fun and I had a chance to talk to Bob Bunn. I know that my boss has suggested that I might be helpful in coordinating a museum, but my interest really lies in writing a book about the family and company history. I think that I have earned the trust of the family, so maybe this could be a good way to remain engaged with out actually being in the office.

I still don't know how much I can work while trying to draw disability benefits, so I need to find this out. Somehow I feel that God is working to provide a new path for me.

No comments: