Monday, October 8, 2007

The Springfield Race Riots of 1908

I know that's a pretty rough way to start a blog, but it's on my mind and has been on my mind for about 3 years now. That's because the two-day riots in Mr. Lincoln's fair city are at the climax of a novel I've completed.

The more research I did on these riots, the more interesting they became, not only as a historic incident but as a bellwether of the tone of the city even to this day. Amazing how the racial division of Springfield, Illinois has maintained and even deepened in the past century. The novel is a chip in the surface of something large and hideous -- showing how one black woman and one white man navigate the waters of society leading up to the riot. Learn more about this at http://library.thinkquest.org/2986/

1 comment:

Katy said...

Wow! You've written a novel! I'd love to read it, but I have to warn you. I took a writer's workshop with Barbara Abercrombie on the weekend. She just released a new book about writing called Craft and Courage. She told us in no uncertain terms that we should never let friends and family read our work. She said that first of all we are spies in their lives and second that they are not writers so they make the wierdest comments. She was a big champion of the personal essay. She made it sound easy to get them published in papers, small regional as well as large, big name papers, magazines including airline magazines, etc. You may not be ready to tell your story about MS, but I think you've got a very gripping tale to tell there.